Last month Outreach Ministries Fund covered the cost to send two volunteers through a 40-hour Basic Immigration Law Course put on by World Relief at Gordon College, including NSCBC’s very own Russ Bjork. This was an important part of helping Open Door Immigration Services (ODIS) open its doors in Salem. Established by Highrock Church members, ODIS is a nonprofit organization enabling our sister church to love and to serve its neighbors in Salem by providing affordable immigration legal services. Recognized by the Department of Justice (DOJ), ODIS is able to assist in United States Citizenship and Immigration Services applications, providing support to families who have no access to other immigration services or who do not have the ability to pay the customary fee charged by immigration attorneys. This work came about as Highrock considered how their congregation could live out the Gospel in the context of their city. ODIS exists to build up their neighbors and contribute to a safe and healthy community. They:
- Show respect for the God-given dignity and value inherent in every person;
- Contribute to the rule of law, helping poor immigrants who would otherwise not be able to navigate the complicated US immigration system;
- Safeguard minors and the unity of families;
- Protect the most vulnerable of our neighbors from abuse and exploitation;
- Provide high-quality, confidential, legal counsel and support throughout the immigration process; and
- Practice stewardship of taxpayer and donor resources through diligent processing and reporting.