Questions for Personal Reflection and Discussion
Read Romans 8:18-30:
For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19 For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.
26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. 28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. (ESV)
- What are some ways that you notice a longing for life and joy in our culture today?
- What are some of the most encouraging verses in today’s Scripture for you personally, and why do you find them encouraging?
- What are some things in your life that make (or have made) you groan?
- What are some aspects of our salvation that are still coming in the future, but not fully experienced now? What are some implications of this?
- Talk about some of the benefits of being adopted into God’s family.
- What gives you hope and “eager expectation” even in times when you’re groaning?
- How have you experienced the Holy Spirit’s help in your weakness?
- How does it impact you to know that the Holy Spirit is groaning with you when you don’t know how to pray?
- Share about a time when you experienced a “mini-resurrection” in your life.
- What did you sense God saying to you through this message?