Questions for Personal Reflection and Group Discussion
Read 2 Timothy 3:14-17: But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
1. How would you define grit? What is “gospel grit”?
2. Who are some of the people who helped you learn the Scriptures and grow into faith in Jesus Christ? What were they like? How did they help you grow toward Christ?
3. Whom are you are currently mentoring – whether formally or informally – helping them grow in faith? If you’re not mentoring anyone, how might you begin to invest spiritually in the next generation?
4. Why is it important to be reminded to “continue” keeping Scripture central in your life?
5. What other voices seek to impact us, besides the voice of God through His Word?
6. How is the Bible different from any other book?
7. Read the following Scriptures. What do you notice in these verses?
- 2 Timothy 2:16-18: Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. 17 Their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, 18 who have departed from the truth. They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some.
- 2 Timothy 3:10-11: You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, 11 persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them.
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4: For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
8. What has Scripture meant for you personally? How has it impacted your life?
9. What did you sense God saying to you through this message?