Questions for personal reflection and Discussion
Read Genesis 1:1-3, 2:4-7:
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. 3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. …. This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, when the Lord God made the earth and the heavens. ….
2:5 These are the generations of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens. 5 When no bush of the field was yet in the land and no small plant of the field had yet sprung up — for the Lord God had not caused it to rain on the land, and there was no man to work the ground, 6 and a mist was going up from the land and was watering the whole face of the ground — 7 then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature. (ESV)
Read John 20:19-22:
On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.” 22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.” (ESV)
- What are some questions you have about the Holy Spirit, or what are some things you hope to understand better through this sermon series?
- What are some things you can learn about God from the way He creates?
- The Hebrew word for God’s Spirit in the Old Testament is “ruach” and means breath, wind, mind, or spirit. What does this communicate about God’s Spirit?
- What is the significance of God creating the world by saying, “Let there be….”, rather than God just commanding things to appear (which is how the Koran presents the creation story)?
- Bobby said, “You will never be yourself without the Holy Spirit.” What did he mean by that?
- Where do you find the Holy Spirit in Genesis 1:2, and what does this tell you about Him?
- How does God’s Spirit impact things that are chaotic, disordered, and without purpose?
- What is God’s idea of “perfection,” and why is God working toward it in our lives?
- What do you notice in John 20:19-22?
- What did you sense God saying to you through this message?