Advent 2022: Call for Artists and Devotional Writers
Photographers, musicians, poets, dancers, songwriters, sculptors and writers who meditate on Scripture: consider sharing your gifts with the congregation this Advent.
On this page:
>Explore this year’s theme and prompts to help you prepare
Wisdom Walks With Us
One of life’s pressing questions: By whose wisdom will you live? What guides the way you work and engage in community? Throughout the fall, NSCBC services will focus on “The Beautiful Life:” a series on wisdom literature. It explores how God has woven wisdom into the fabric of creation and how a robust Christian faith involves walking in the light of God’s wisdom.
Our Advent Guide will invite the congregation to consider how Jesus embodies hope, peace, joy, and love — the traditional themes of Advent — as wisdom that walks with us. We are looking for devotional writers and artists of any medium to contribute.
You are invited to contribute on the theme of hope, love, peace, or joy. New this year — We encourage devotional writers and artists on the same theme to connect at some point during the fall to discuss how you plan to approach your piece. Not only is this a nice opportunity to connect, but you can swap ideas to enhance one another’s contributions (or even align them). Consider discussing these prompts to warm up…
- Is there a piece of music, a movie, or a book that captures the experience of [hope/peace/joy/love] for you? What does it communicate about how God has woven wisdom into the fabric of creation?
- Is there a moment in the gospels where Jesus embodies [hope/peace/joy/love] in a way that resonates with you? Inspires you?
- How has [hope/peace/joy/love] sustained you in a challenging season of life?
- How is [hope/peace/joy/love] a beautiful way to live?
- What prevents [hope/peace/joy/love] from pervading our community?
Submission Details — Artists
- Pieces are ideally due November 1st with some variation depending on medium (talk to us) to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- Artists can submit a piece of any medium that contemplates [hope/peace/joy/love]. This could be a poem, a photograph or photography series, a drawing or painting, a sculpture, a recording of you dancing or playing a piece of music. Any medium is welcome — what’s important is that it contemplates the theme honestly, with the Spirit of Christ, and using your gifts.
- Please also submit a brief Artist Statement (up to half a page, but it can be a few sentences) with any relevant/interesting background.
Submission Details — Meditation Writers
- Text and Meditation ideally due November 1st to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- Aim for a meditation of 500-700 words in length – (about a page)
- Select a text of your choosing from the gospels that sheds light on how Jesus embodies your team’s theme [hope/peace/joy/love]. Pick a passage from the birth or life of Jesus prior to and not including Jesus’ death.
- Invite the reader into imagining the scene. Provide the context that is relevant and necessary for understanding this passage.
- Explore, make connections, and invite the reader to marvel at how Jesus embodies the particular aspect of wisdom. Consider aligning your reflections with one of the discussion prompts above. You can even reference similar ideas or reflect on the work of your team’s artist if you feel so inspired.